Monday, January 9, 2012

Another nerdy organization post

For Christmas my sweet parents got me this awesome nine-cube organizer and some baskets to go along with it!  I've had my eye on this (and been practically drooling over it) for quite some time now, so I was so excited to finally get it!  It was one of those things we didn't really "need", so I could never really justify buying it...but holy cow now I don't know how we ever lived without it!!  Its induction into our basement caused a whole slew of reorganizing throughout the house (tell me you know how that works) and I'm really happy with how things have ended up.  Here's the chain of events.  

Put nine-cube organizer in basement = very de-cluttered play-space, YAY! 
Move three-drawer plastic organizer from basement (it used to house our toy kitchen things and some other items) upstairs to kitchen. It is now the new home for the children's craft supplies (the ones I let them access at will) which has led to a much less-cluttered "junk" drawer for me; it also houses some of their learning toys (puzzles, beads, matching cards, dominoes, etc.), which emptied out the side-server (formerly the "learning cabinet") considerably.  
With the extra space in the side-server, I decided I really didn't need the organizer I was using for our homeschool preschool anymore.  It was really handy for keeping me organized and on-track the first semester when I was still finding my way with our schedule and activities, but now that we've settled into a nice routine with our school activities it just seemed a little overkill, and was really taking up a lot of space in the front closet.  So now we have space back for hanging our coats and putting the vacuum and such, and all our school stuff is neatly organized on two shelves in the now-emptied side-server.
WHEW!  I am pretty happy with the results, and now you have yet another glimpse into my absolute and complete nerdiness when it comes to all things organization.

12 comments:

Mary Elizabeth said...

/Like I love organizing and having these organized well. Looks great :)

Alzbeta said...

I absolutely love the organization! We are rather low on organizing items... but I have trouble deciding what will work best for us.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad to hear a positive review of the 9 cube unit. I've been going back and forth about getting one for the playroom. There are just way too many things down there and not enough places to put them. I currently have some tubs on the floor, but that system is proving ineffective when I have the kids help pick up since EVERYTHING goes in the floor tubs according to the girls, to the point of overflowing, whether it belongs there or not :P I'll have to watch for a sale and use some of the Christmas money that's burning a hole in my pocket to solve our dilemma. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Monica said...

Yes, Elizabeth, I'd definitely recommend them. They are very sturdy, and my hubby commented they were bigger than he'd anticipated them being. They seem to go on sale about once a month, pretty frequently, so yes I'd say wait for a sale and go for it!!

Angie said...

Oooo, I'm so loving it, Mon! I was just drooling over those at Menards the other day. I'm torn between that and a big bookshelf (too many big people books to store, too). Wish I could find one or the other used...maybe when the garage sales start up.
For now, you enjoy...I'll drool and continue to unbox things with no home. ;-)

CKFV said...

This made me smile so much! I'm the same way...I start organizing in one room, which leads to organization in another, then another...it feels so nice with the end result.

Monica said...

HAHA Chelsea, yep, you understand. And the rest of the story is actually yesterday when I took the bookshelf from Gemma's closet (somehow the books in there never get read, just our library books and any other books I have out and sitting around) so I moved the books to other various places in the house (including the 9 cube organizer) and put the shelf in my sewing room/office, since I am always in need of more storage in there for many random things. Ahhhhhh, organization!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Ok, I have been thinking about this post for some reason. It makes me want to come visit you even more. I bet you have a TON of brilliant storage/organization ideas in your house. Of course, maybe I am just getting a bit nervous because I am really SERIOUSLY considering the homeschool thing next year and I am having trouble visualizing WHERE we are going to put our school stuff and exactly how the "bookwork" part is going to work. Your cubes look awesome, but my house is small. . . maybe we could hang something from the ceiling. . . hehe jk :)

Monica said...

Thanks for coming back to comment. The cubes really don't take up a lot of space if you have a corner or somewhere to stick them, you would be amazed at all they can hold.

Homeschooling, wow, props. It was something we definitely talked about, but after discerning, talking it thru, praying, and then just doing the bit of preschool we have done, I am looking forward to having the Catholic schools to help me with my children's educations. I know they won't be perfect, and I'm sure we'll have issues, but I think, as of now, that they will be the best fit for our family. The thought of homeschooling past PK honestly really stresses me out. But it takes all types. Why are you considering homeschooling, if you don't mind me asking...

Mary Elizabeth said...

Oh Gosh, what a loaded question. . . honestly there are TONS of reasons (and of course tons not to), but some of the main ones for me:

1) I have been praying about it and it "feels like I'm being led this way" - sound silly, but there you have that.

2) I like my kids a lot and I feel like I am MISSING a large part of their day when they are at school. There just is not time to do all the things with them that I think are important (like prayer and learning basic life chores - like cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc).

3) Some of the teachers at our local school do not have the best attitude and the thought of my children having to deal with them every day. . . well, why put more strain on them than necessary? I know, they will have to deal with people they don't agree with or even like - probably on a daily basis, but they are still young and so impressionable.

4) I have a degree in Religious Education - I am theoretically considered a "highly trained" professional in this field. Unfortunately, I do not want to work outside the home while my children are young, so why not "work" inside the home.

5) Our book fees just went up again :( Honestly $300 per kid? Next year I would have two kids in school and the year after 3. $900 for book fees - really is that necessary? Are they getting brand new books every year or something? I imagine I can spend half that on my own supplies we get to keep or re-use.

6) We have a local homeschooling network and I know several friends who also homeschool so I already have a foot in the door for daily socialization and recreation with other kids. Plus there are a lot of classes offered at our local recreation center and opportunities for activities like dance class, gymnastics, swim team, etc.

7) It just sounds like a great adventure for myself and my kids!

Monica said...

That's really great! It is certainly something we are open to, I think we will test the waters with the Catholic schools though initially and hope for the best, while still remaining open to where God is calling us.

All your reasons are great ones (although I am quite partial to #2), it seems you've given this lots of prayer and thought. I am really happy for you and wish you the best. You'll have to keep me posted!

Brouillettes said...

Ahhh, LOVE the 9-cute organizer...definitely a staple in our house...

Glad you feel more organized! One of these days I HAVE to talk to you about where to start for preschool homeschooling...finding curriculum, what's needed, etc. So nervous, but really feel it's for the best!

PS~ I just read the post you gave on not continuing past preschool, but I'm sure that info would still be GREATLY helpful!