Monday, January 23, 2012

"O" week

 "O" is for octopus, owl, ox and ostrich!  We learned about several different animals during "O" week.  I picked up a set of flashcards at a consignment sale last summer (I think) that has fairly realistic pictures of animals on the front and a paragraph or two (geared toward probably a 5 year old) about the animal on the back.  They are very informative.  I just have them filed out in our letter folders, and am always happy to run across them.  

Gemma colored an octopus picture with her new twist crayons she got for Christmas, and we counted and numbered the legs together.  As good as her letter recognition is, I am finding that we probably need to work a little more on numbers. She can count and such quite well, but isn't great at recognizing numbers if they're not written in order.

We painted letter "O"s as well.  I have a file I made in Word with all the alphabet letters in a large font (one per page) and they can be colored or painted or whatever.  Leave your email address in the comments and I'd be happy to share if you're interested.  


Some of our favorite "O" books were:
On the Night you were Born (She got this for her birthday.  It is SUCH a beautiful story.)
Oh the Thinks you can Think  (The best Seuss book of all time - in my opinion of course.)
Over in the Meadow (We love this song around here.  We've checked out several versions of this, and this is the one we own illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats.)
Octopus Opposites (This gave us an opportunity to talk some about opposites this week as well.)
Wow said the Owl(A book about colors.) 
Otis and Sydney and the Best Birthday Ever (This one was leftover from birthday week - which I still need to blog about.  We found some great birthday books at the library though!!)
Owl Babies  (A very sweet story that addresses separation anxiety.)

3 comments:

Kansas Mom said...

I love Over in the Meadow! Have you seen the version on Scholastic video? It's on the same DVD as The Wheels on the Bus (wonderfully performed by the Bacon Brothers). It's my favorite Scholastic video.

Monica said...

It is really quite uncanny that you would mention a scholastic video, because until today I did not know they existed, but we stumbled across one with Bear (Karma Wilson) at the library, and Gemma is actually watching the stories right now and I think it's really cute, and so does she! So to have you mention one right now is just really bizarre. But good! I'll have to keep an eye out for it, thanks!

Angie said...

Yes, I'm with you on the numbers thing...same with Kate.

We'll have to look out for Scholastic video, too. ;-)

Keep up the good work Mon!