Thursday, February 19, 2009

Frustrations..

Okay, so I really don't want this blog to turn into a platform to vent my frustrations, but in doing so once in awhile, I hope to maybe glean some advice from some of you other moms out there with wee-ones. If you simply don't care, or just don't want to hear about it, you may want to skip this post, and I promise to have some happy cute pictures and sweet stories to share in the very near future. For the rest of you...

Here goes. Miss Gemma is such a sweet little soul, don't get me wrong, but there are just a few things about which I have a few concerns. Namely her night-sleep, and some of her eating habits. She has never slept through the night. If I had known before she was born that I would be typing this note I probably would have had a heart attack right there on the spot. I'm much more cool with it now, I've done a lot of reading and I know this isn't totally out of the ordinary. At her best, she's gone through phases where she's awoken once or twice a night. We're definitely not at our best now. Here's how a typical night plays out at our house...she goes to bed (in her room) between 7:30 and 8, nurses to sleep about half the time, the other times she is rocked down by either me or Aaron. The first 4 or so hours of her night are relatively good. If she stirs she's usually able to resettle herself without help from mom or dad. However, that time-span from approximately midnight to four is incredibly rough. She's restless, she cries and gets upset, she nurses (which is fine with me if she's really hungry, determining whether she's hungry or just seeking comfort is what's difficult), sometimes she comes in our bed, sometimes she and Aaron go snuggle on the sofa, sometimes she and I rock. About the longest stretch she'll sleep during that period without needing mommy or daddy is 1 1/2 hours. It's frustrating. I know it is a time that I need to exercise patience, and look at it as an opportunity to grow in grace, but holy cow it is just getting to be too much some nights. Then once we get her resettled in her bed by 4/4:30, she typically sleeps well on her own until 7:30 or 8am, and again is able to resettle herself upon awakening (she often stirs a bit around 6:30-7 but then drops back off on her own). I just can't figure it out. Is it hunger? Is it teething (she currently has seven teeth, working on #8)? Am I doing something wrong? What's going on? She does nap well, some days better than others (as with any child) but her naps range from 1 1/2 to 3 hours in the afternoon (she dropped the AM nap around 10 months), and probably typically average just over 2 hours. So I think we're doing all right in that department. But the nights, oh the nights... Neither Aaron nor I are fans of the "cry it out" method. And not to judge people who do let their kids cry it out, but it just isn't for us. Of this we are very sure. But, that leaves us where we are. Wondering. Of course Aaron is more cool about everything, he is Mr. level-headed and doesn't really let much get him riled. Ever. He is so very good for me. I, on the other hand, must over-analyze everything, and this is just really getting me in a tizzy lately.

And then there's her issues with eating. Eating is something she has sporadically done well with, but never really has settled into being that "great eater" I always imagined she'd be. She goes through spurts where she eats a ton (growth spurts?) but other times it's tough to get her to eat more than 4-5 bites a meal (teething?) She still doesn't do well with finger foods at all. Oh she'll do cheerios and goldfish, or a slice of bread. Maybe a few bites of a scrambled egg. And then she will just chuck everything on the floor. Not maliciously, but by the same token it really isn't appropriate behavior. I've taken to grabbing the food when I catch her doing this and saying, "Oh, this is so sad, we don't throw our food. Food all gone," (a la Love and Logic) and then just taking the food. Funny thing is though, if I offer her more out of my hand, nine times out of ten she'll eat it from me. Aggghhh!! Then she'll get frustrated with me feeding her and want it on her tray again. And the circle repeats itself. She eats the rest of her meals from me on a spoon. With me holding her hands. Because she swats. And she doesn't always want to open her mouth. So she sputters and yells. Again, I know it's not malicious, but is this normal for a 13 month old? I thought by 13 months most kiddos were able to feed themselves pretty well. Any other type of finger food I put on her tray automatically hits the floor, so it just seems counterproductive to even try a whole lot of that. And when we do this meals where she gets a sum total of five or six bites, that can't be healthy. I do offer two snacks a day also, after nap and before bed. And (sorry to be graphic) she does poop well most of the time, so I would guess this would imply she's eating okay. But still, I look at other children's eating habits and just see things that I don't see in Gemma. I'll be honest, with her current eating habits I would never consider a restaurant with her.


So, for those of you who've made it this far, there you have it. I really don't want to sound whiney. I know I have it very good, and Gemma has so many sweet qualities that I can't stay upset for long. She is happy, loving, she plays well, she smiles almost constantly, she is learning to listen to directions and understand "no", she is just an all around joy. And when I hold that sleeping wee-little bundle after rocking her to sleep, my heart still melts just looking at her. Never-the-less, here I am, venting my frustrations. Any advice anyone would care to share is certainly appreciated, either as a comment on here or a message on my Facebook or email (monnimusic@yahoo.com)

Thank you!!! Happier topics next go-around, I promise!

5 comments:

Dannon said...

Hey Monica.....there isn't enough space on here or on my blog combined for me to discuss our sleep problems we have with Zach!!! He goes to bed between 8 and 10...depends on the day. Sleeps a few hours, gets up and has NEVER been able to soothe himself back to sleep. Then can be up anywhere from 15 minutes to 2-3 hours. Again depends on the day. Then sleeps an our or two and is up again. And follows that pattern the rest of the night. We get up a minimum of twice and some nights as many as 4-5 times! Oh my goodness we are tired! We used to trade off every other night so each of would get at least one night of sleep. It's gotten to the point we each take 1/2 a night now. We don't do the cry yourself back to sleep thing cuz he can do this for over an hour and still not be asleep.

Zach has also gone through phases in eating. He as well is a HUGE fan of throwing food on the floor! As well, he hates it when I attempt to help feed him. So your meal times sound a little like ours! :) KIDS! :) He's also a big fan of smashing food!

So sounds like I don't have any good suggestions for you and used your blog to vent my own frustrations! Maybe it's helpful to know you have a another parent going through the same struggles!

Dannon

EMO said...

Hi! I am by NO means an expert, but have also read a lot about it, and there are only 2 things, that I see that "might" be hindering her sleeping through the night.

Everything I have read says to put the baby down to bed tired but not sleeping. Supposedly this will help them be able to soothe themselves to sleep better when the wake during the night.

The other is feeding her at night. I think unless they are having a growth spurt, then once they are past a few months old they really don't need food during the night. It says that they will end up waking up for the food.

But since you said that she isn't always eating alot during the day, I guess she could be hungry. Man it is frustrating not knowing isn't it? I am VERY frustrated right now with my baby and her night time sleeping issues, so I FEEL YOU!

I really think on the feeding she is fine, you just keep offering food, and I am sure that she would let you know if she was really hungry.

I have tried to do some things differently with Kylie than with Quinn, and some things seem better, but Quinn was sleeping thru the night by now and Kylie isn't, but Kylie goes down much better than Quinn did and takes better naps, so I guess you win some you lose some :)

I think it is good to vent about your frustrations, let me tell you if I had a blog my last few posts would be venty...
Erin

Angie said...

Hi Monica! I think everything you've mentioned sounds normal, whatever normal is anyway.

I was just visiting with a group of mothers this morning and I heard much of the same venting and questioning that you posed here that they posed there. As for my two cents...

Our experience as parents with Katie thus far is that she doesn't sleep through the night. My understanding though is because she nurses she needs to eat more frequently. Breastmilk digests quickly (2-3 hours) and so she wakes to eat. I'm not sure if you difficulty is with the amt. of sleep Gemma gets or the lack of it that you get. If it is with the former I would say, that waking and going back to sleep like that its the norm for little ones. Their sleep cycles are shorter and she may want to nurse not only for comfort but to fill her tummy.Her sleep schedule sounds nearly identical to Kate's the only difference is that we don't get up with her at night. If its the latter, one thing that has worked for Kurt and I (and it certainly doesn't work for everyone) is to have Katie in the same room at night. If she stirs I don't need to get out of my sleeping stupor to get her. I can usually nurse her and lay her back down fairly quickly (without turning the lights on). Another alternative when I am really tired is to bring her in bed with us and nurse lying down, then I can rest/sleep, too. I consider it such a blessing that I am able to be home with her and remind myself of the difficulty of working moms- they deserve a ton of credit. And whether it comfort (or not) it really depends on the kid, I know many 1 and 2 year olds that are still up at night and others that have "always" slept through the night.

As for the food, that, too sounds normal. And may not improve anytime soon. You might look at the La Leche League website for some tips...I thought I read them there. My mom still talks about my brothers and how she'd be proud if she could get them to eat their age of bites at dinner time (nothing like two peas, and two bites of chicken for a meal).

Michelle said...

Hey - I was just re-reading through the SuperNanny book that Fr. Kline gave us for our wedding and it had a section on sleep that you might find interesting and/or helpful. I'll try to remember to bring the book to Mom's on Wednesday.

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

Hey Monica,
I don't have a lot of advice, but I'll tell you that Emily wakes at least once, often twice, at night! AND... she literally doesn't eat anything! I've tried just about everything, but the doctor says it's not uncommon and she will outgrow it. Noah had the exact same habits! He's still a picky eater, but at least he eats! Oh, and yes, at age 4, he does sleep through the night :) Hang in there!